Thursday, July 4, 2013

4th of July Update

Happy 4th of July, everyone!!! It's been a while since I've posted about what I've been up to, so now that I have a few minutes to spare, I figured that I'd do so! Let's see...

I'm kind of bummed out right now because this is the first time in recent memory that we aren't having any sort of a 3rd/4th of July celebration. As stressful as it can be to plan and prepare for, it really is my favorite holiday/celebration of the year. We had good intentions of doing something, but after the late harvest and rabies incident, my parents knew that their hearts wouldn't be in it if we did do something. With that in mind, we decided that it would be better to hold off on doing anything until we get our new shed built, which will probably be sometime around September or October, which is also when my dad claims that he will shave his hair/beard. (He is starting to look like a mountain man, much to my mom's displeasure.) Anyway, it feels a little bit empty without our party, and I'm ready to get the shed done so that we can celebrate again!!

With that being said, I really don't know that we'll even do anything tonight, which bums me out even more. Although it is nice to have everyone home and have no real agenda for the day, it is slightly depressing to me to not have plans on a holiday. I'm hoping to make it to town this afternoon to get some half-and-half so that we can maybe make some grape sherbet (our traditional 4th of July dessert), which might possibly salvage my mood! I suppose we'll see how that pans out, and hope for the best.

I say this every time I make a post, but I still am enjoying my job! With that said, I am happy to have a few days off, just to recharge and sleep in for once, but otherwise love it! I have become more and more inspired  to start making quilts of my own for me and my family. Even better, I won't have to worry about spending so much of my paycheck on supplies, thanks to a recent contest we did! During June, our boss told us that for every customer demonstration we did on a specific sewing machine, we would get one dollar of store credit. (That is the closest we really get to a commission, in case you were wondering about that.) I am happy to say that I earned $31 of credit, which will go a little way toward some of my upcoming quilt materials! Although the public sometimes leaves a little bit to be desired, I actually do enjoy working retail, and wouldn't be afraid to pursue it as a job during the rest of my college days, until I can start a career!

After having a bit of a dry spell in the matter, I have finally found some time to read for pleasure again. I have read two books in the last few weeks. The first was "Happy, Happy, Happy", by Phil Robertson (the man who started the Duck Commander line, and whose family is featured on "Duck Dynasty"). The book is his autobiography, and tells about the long road to his family's success, which was quite tumultuous, and not as idealistic as it may appear on their show. I gained much respect for him, and admired the fact that he and his family hold their Christian faith at the root of all they are and all they do. Even if you aren't a duck hunter, have never heard of the Robertson family, or watched their show, this book has something for everyone, and I feel is a must read, and flows easily. (I finished it in one evening, if that tells you anything!) Having said that, both of my parents (more notably, my dad, who rarely reads books) are currently reading and enjoying the book. (Fun fact, if you covered up the bottom third of Phil's beard, he has a striking resemblance to my dad right now!)

I also read the book "To Heaven and Back", by Dr. Mary Neal. I gave my mom this book for Mother's Day, at the suggestion of the lady we bought my trailer from. I really enjoyed this book, as it made me contemplate the common questions of why bad things happen to good people, and our purpose for living. For it being a little over 200 pages, it was also a quick read. She has a good story, and I recommend it for a good book to make you think.

This next Sunday, we will be getting a new priest at my parish. Without saying too much, I don't think that this is the worst thing in the world. I am interested to see what he will have to offer us, and am desperately hoping for the best in this situation!

At the going-away part for Fr. Joe this past weekend, the hot topic of conversation is my upcoming transfer to OSU. As I have been (probably unnecessarily) fretting about recently, I am still afraid that I won't make friends there. One of our friends suggested that I look into the campus ministry from Catholic Church on the campus as a means of meeting people. She told me that her daughter went there quite a bit, and loved the Christian fellowship and home-cooked meals from the older parishioners. With that in mind, I decided to look it up and was pleased with my findings. I found that they still do have weeknight Mass for college kids with a meal afterwards, along with fellowship activities and a Bible study group on other nights. Even better, during the summer, they do a Wednesday night Bible study just across the cove from my trailer at the lake! I am considering looking into this activity as a way to possibly make some friends before school starts. Maybe I will be able to go, we'll see!

On a final, totally unrelated note, I have to say that I have found a new addiction in getting gel manicures. I have always hated painting my fingernails because it looks terrible when I do my own nails, and it inevitably chips off and looks icky after a day. I got my first real manicure right before graduation, and I am somewhat addicted to them now! It lasts about 2-3 weeks without chipping, and honestly, it makes me feel pretty and glamorous! Jeremy's daughter, Taylor, is just starting in beauty school, and I cannot wait for her to be in a salon, where I will always have a manicure hook-up!!! :)

On that note, I'll end it here and hope that everyone has a SAFE, and Happy 4th of July holiday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment