Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wyatt's Birthday Weekend

This weekend we celebrated Wyatt's 5th birthday. He actually got two parties yesterday, which was how I spent the bulk of my day. Before I get much farther, I'll go back to Thursday (the 27th), his actual birthday. On Wednesday night, Wyatt fell asleep on his way home from his babysitter's house. He hadn't napped all day, so he was pretty exhausted. Needless to say, when he fell asleep at about 6:00, he was out. (As a side note, Wyatt is a heavy sleeper.) Try as she might, Gina couldn't get him to wake up once they were home. Like I said, he was OUT. Because he fell asleep so early, Wyatt had absolutely no problem waking up early. By early, I mean 3:45 AM. Yikes! To skip over minor details I'm not sure of, I'll suffice it to say that when we went over to their house at 8:15 PM, although he took a small nap on the way home, Wyatt was wound up. He was very excited about his birthday and the fact that he got a new bicycle. That was Thursday.

On Saturday, his first party was at the Burger King Playplace with all of his Pre-K buddies. When I got there, all of the kids present were ready for fun! At his request, Wyatt's party was Batman-themed. He had a really good turnout for his party. All of the boys and one girl from his class came, his cousin Zoey was there, and also, Cody and Kyle. Everyone just loved it! I got lots of good pictures that I would post if my computer was capable of doing so. All of the kids played well together, and they were very well-behaved. After we got done with his first party, my mom and I ran a couple of errands, and, for once I was the aunt who was really with it, and I printed off the pictures of Wyatt's classmates for Gina to give to their parents. I was proud of myself!

Wyatt's other party was later in the evening, mainly for all of the family. It was more of a low-key event, but it was still fun! Gina made an awesome cake with a Batman logo made of fondant. (It was Gina's first time to work with fondant, and I think it turned out quite well!) Wyatt got all kinds of Batman action figures, Batmobiles, t-shirts, etc. I was the non-traditional aunt who got Wyatt Chutes and Ladders and a can of Silly String. Silly String is my signature gift, because it is inexpensive, lots of fun, and the boys all love it! It is a great outdoor activity for the boys. Even though the silly string gets everywhere, it cleans up easily and if it gets left on the floor/carpet/clothes it will dry up, and can be swept away! Gotta love it! Wyatt ended up getting a bigger can than usual only for the fact that there were only big cans at Wal-Mart, but its okay!

Before Wyatt's evening party, I got to go pick up my Mimi! I love it when I am able to do that, because I get to spend a little bit of uninterrupted time with Mimi, and we can talk about anything. I usually talk about school, and she usually tells me little tidbits of things that have happened since we last spoke. I cherish this time so much. This time we talked about college, possible career paths for me, my great-aunt's back surgery, and a few other things. My mom joined us when I took Mimi home. After we got back to her house, she told my mom and I about where she kept a few things in the event that...well, you know. It's a thought that I think about occasionally, although I really don't want to. I fear for the day that my Mimi is gone, because I love her so, so much, and I don't want to lose her, but I know that it is a part of life. That is why I cherish all of the time that I spend with my Mimi.

Before I go much further, and get myself into a bad state of mind, I should explain the other reason why the "bad stuff" is on my mind. My best friend Tonisha's grandpa suddenly died in a tragic accident on Friday night. My heart hurts for her and her family during this difficult time. I know that Tonisha and her family are all strong of faith and will eventually regain a sense of peace in their lives, but for now I can only imagine the immense grief that they are experiencing. With that in mind, and then having Mimi tell my mom and me about where her things are, it made me think about the worst, but I will try to refrain from going there any more.

Before this once happy post becomes morose, I should add some happy news. I am finished with my application to UCO, and, as soon as I can get one of my parents to sit down with me and go over a few other things, I will be ready to submit my application! I soldiered through the drudgery that is better known as the scholarship application. I also created my first resume, which wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be. After working almost tirelessly for abouth three nights, I finally finished the scholarship application, and I feel so relieved! In the next two days, I will probably have it submitted! Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. Good post. Death is not the end Amanda, it is really just a corner that is turned. We simply can't see the ones who walk around the corner until we walk around it. Their love for us remains, as does ours for them. God is good and holds us all together.

    ReplyDelete